Saturday, March 27, 2010

Seabrights

Seabrights are my favorite chickens. Besides their lovely markings, they have the most interesting personalities. The roosters take care of the hens and chicks, letting them eat special treats first and sounding alarms at the first sign of danger.

My original Golden Seabright hen. She is quite tame, having decided early on that it makes sense to befriend the food-bringer. Seabright eggs are small, but make excellent breakfasts. They are also handy when dividing a recipe in half. Ready made half eggs.

One of the beautiful Golden Seabright roosters. They are unique in that the roosters have "hen feathering" - no long tail and neck feathers.

A Silver Seabright roo. I love their upright stance and self-assurance. They don't realize they are only a handful of bird.

5 comments:

Bubblegum said...

wow..i don't think we have this type of chicken in our country..beautiful feather..

Judy said...

I love their feather patterns. The breed was developed in England, and they aren't widely kept in the US either.

Mokihana said...

Oh my goodness, that's the most beautiful chicken I've ever seen!

Judy said...

That's what I thought when I first saw them too. Love these little guys.

Liz said...

They are beautiful.
I can't wait to get more Serama's. They are WONDERFUL little birds. Love the pictures. Thanks for sharing.