Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Bear Sign

I'm fencing in an acre of woods for the horses. This is much easier said than done, since the woods are thick and a path for the fence has to be cut out, and the trees disposed of. Just measuring is a trial.

While walking through the woods, we kept coming across scat filled with cherry pits.

A little internet research showed this to be black bear scat. This isn't surprising, since there was a bear sighted on my lane a couple years ago, but with the quantity of scat I think there's more than one bear. It's hard to believe there can be so much bear sign, yet I've never seen them. I hope they don't mind having new neighbors.

5 comments:

Veryl Ann Grace said...

Thank goodness for BWD's and their partners. Your sheep would be no match for a bear. Good luck with the fencing. How is the new girl doing. I really need to talk to you. Will call soon. Hugs.

Denise said...

Found a pile of cherry pit filled scat in my (fenced) side yard over the weekend and can't help wondering what animal could have left it. Certainly not a bear! Possibly a raccoon? Knock wood, I've never seen one in the yard but I know they are in the area. Good luck with your fencing!

Unknown said...

Ok, I laughed out loud at this because I thought I was the only one who took poop photos.. of course bear is much more rare here.

Judy said...

I have lots of pictures of poop :) It's often the only thing I have to identify the critters who live here. I figure others are probably less interested in it. Glad to know there's fellow scat photographer out there.

Kerin said...

I agree with Veryl about the sheep. I think the sheep need to learn Karate and Judo stat!!! ; )