Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Fourth of July

America's favorite holiday always leaves me puzzled and sleepless. Why are we so thrilled by loud noised and dangerous fireworks? Fireworks often set off by people who've spent the day drinking. Frightened animals and fire hazards, injuries to children...we are an odd lot.

This year summer came to the Northwest early - it's been in the 80s for days. Usually summer begins here July 5. June is notoriously cool, cloudy and wet. It was this year as well, punctuated by the occasional steamy hot day. The blackberries have gone wild. I've worried that while I'm out pruning my way into an overgrown area the canes will attack me from the rear, encasing me forever in a briar patch. Keeping 1/4 mile of road passable is a continuous task. After a day of pruning a new cane waves proudly into the roadway.

I've been remiss in keeping up with my blogging. I'm going to backfill with pictures I've taken through the spring.

No comments: