Friday, May 24, 2013

May you live in interesting times.

Today has been an interesting and exciting day, in all senses of the words.

My keyboard has been dying one key at at time for a while, and recently I lost use of the bottom two rows. Obviously a new keyboard was in order. The Mac Store carries a very interesting one - The Virtually Indestructible Keyboard. They had to ship one from Redmond to Olympia (the closest place for Apple supplies - about 1 hour away). Today I drove up to get it.

This keyboard is very cool, but will take some getting used to. It's silicone based, flexible, and according to the tech at the store even acid spills won't harm it (he used one in a chemistry lab). No more dog hair and dust working their way under the keys.


The second exciting thing is that people in Olympia had East Indies ducklings for sale. These ducks are tiny, black,  and when they get feathers, iridescent. They are hard to get, as hatcheries won't ship ducklings due to their small size. I now have five ducklings! Adorable.


When I got home I was greeted by my Border Collie, loose. The good news was there she was waiting for me, the bad news - well, besides the need for better containment, I wasn't sure what the bad news was.

As I unloaded the groceries I bought at Costco (no trip to Olympia is complete without a Costco run), I noticed that some horses were in the wrong pasture. Exploring further, I found a gate had been opened by the hinge side. 

And then I saw the Arab stallion sitting down. Now that's just wrong, horses don't normally sit. Slipping and sliding down to him (it has rained continuously the past 3 days) I realized he was seriously stuck in the fence. I got the wire cutters and managed to cut him out. He's such a sweet guy, he just stays calm and trusts me to help him. He's a bit scratched up, but otherwise seems fine.

So now I have a gate that needs rehanging and a fence section that needs replacing. But my horses are OK, if unintentionally relocated.

I'm now back inside getting used to this new keyboard and resting up.

No comments: