Friday, December 17, 2010

The Possible Dream (moving hay #2)

Keep in mind as you read this and look at the pictures: we have had an amazing amount of rain, over a long period of time. My clay ground has lost it's integrity. This level of mud is not normal here, even in winter. The worst part of this mud is that it is clay. As you step into it, it surrounds your foot and holds tight. To move one must be completely present, aware of each foot, the mud, and the suction. The angle required to let air in and release the boot so it rises with the foot.


The hay bales are stored in the carport on the left. I roll them through that shiny mud into the pasture where you can see Belle munching on a bale destined for the far field. It is slightly uphill to where this bale resides.


One bale has just been rolled near the shelter for the two horses in this field.


The lane of transit is just behind the twisted hot wire. This part of the journey is uphill.


The last leg of the field. Slightly downhill to the gate.


Past the gate into the woods. Uphill right after the gate, then downhill again in the woods. See that bale? Moved there by me. Alone. 500 lbs. Through the mud.

3 comments:

Veryl Ann Grace said...

You are going to be in incredible shape or dead after all of this. I vote for the former. Good job. Hugs.

Arlette said...

Ohhh I feel your effort - and your satisfaction with getting that bale where needed.

That mud must be miserable to work through though.

When we bale graze we end up rolling a lot of partially eaten round bales. Bales that started at 1200 pounds. We like to get them rolled out as soon as the sheep have eaten enough to make it humanly possible. There will a three to four to do each day.
But no mud, just snow.

Judy said...

Veryl, I'm voting for incredible shape too. I can feel myself getting stronger virtually daily. I love it.

Arlette, I don't envy you rolling three to four bales, either! Winter always brings interesting challenges.