Saturday, December 17, 2011

The Expansive Nature of Horses

Yesterday I spent another hour finding yet more places where my electric fence was failing, finally getting everything seriously hot - including the temporary fence for the fillies. Then I spent several hours freeing my bamboo from the land-greedy blackberries, cutting and hacking and pulling down vines. I was quite pleased with the results, although I just left the sliced remains of the berry vines on the ground.

There are always unanticipated results.

Early this morning I was driving out to make it to an appointment. I saw this on my way down the hill:


There was obviously something interesting in the woods; something I couldn't see. 


Trojan turned to say "hey, come see this! Look here!" But I was in a hurry, and didn't have the time to explore just then.

When I got back I discovered what was in those woods.


My lovely fillies ducked under the temporary electric fencing to explore the now-accessible woods that abut two fields and my rental house. They were very pleased with themselves, and with the yummy berry leaves. These are the same two who made a pencil out of my corral. It's not a bad idea, though, I may just fence in the ends of this area and make another small woodsy enclosure.

No comments: