Thursday, July 19, 2012

Wild Kitty Update

Momma kitty moved her brood away from the hay shed, and I didn't see her for a couple weeks. Then I spotted her a couple times. I continued to put food in places I've seen her frequent in the past, and the food disappeared.

Today I was walking up the back porch of my second house, and heard a rustle. Momma cat was staring me down.


She followed me, hissing and growling, making sure I knew I wasn't to interfere with her family. She is definitely a brave little thing.


I managed to catch one of the kittens making a beeline to safety - off the deck to the depth of the den. I've seen two kittens here. I don't know how many she has, and probably won't get a chance to count.

The interesting thing about this location is it is guarded by Charlie, my Great Pyrenees Elder. He has retired to the yard surrounding this house, where he is first in line to scare away predators. This cat moved her kittens into a fenced area with a 120 lb dog in residence. How did she know he would protect and not attack? I was wondering why he had started eating so much.

No comments: