Thursday, February 14, 2013

Strange Companions

My lone gander has adopted my sheep. Instead of hanging with the other Toulous trio, he hangs with the ewes. The five of them browse the woods for berry leaves, nibble on the remaining grass, and steal hay from the horses (often ignoring the hay I put out for them). 

I've been trying to get photos of them for awhile, and finally found an opportunity. These turned out more interesting than I realized, as they show why the sheep hang with the goose - what these very different creatures offer each other. 

Notice in the first shot the ewe seems unaware of my presence - but the goose is already watching. In the following shots, the ewes are looking just where the goose is. He's their early warning system. The sheep, I assume, offer the gander the safety of being in a group.


 



No comments: