Thursday, December 25, 2008

The Long White Road

This morning I walked down to the neighbors to wish them Merry Christmas and borrow some bird seed. I had to climb the fence to get out. It was the first time I'd been on my road since the snows.


Snow is deceiving. That white expanse in front of the trees is part of my road. It turns out to be under at least a foot of snow. Heavy, wet snow. It was an arduous trek. Worse was walking back with a 20 lb bag of sunflower seeds.

This is looking up the hill towards my house. We got another 4" of snow last night. It's supposed to snow again tonight. Makes me wonder if we'll ever get out.

The snow last night and this morning made me realize why snow is such a problem here in the coastal west. Not only aren't we used to or prepared for it, but our normal snow is so very wet and heavy. The past week, with temps in the teens and twenties, the snow has been light, packing well, pretty easy to walk through. Today's snow makes each step a trial.

No comments: